Friday, July 30, 2010

Ch 13: Mean, Median and Mode

A few things I found interesting when reading Chapter 13 is mean, median, and mode.
I will start off by talking about the average or mean. An average isn’t the maximum; in fact, it is a measure of the expected value of a collection of numbers. The definition from the textbook is, “the average or mean of a collection of numbers is obtained by adding the numbers and then dividing by the number of items.” (Epstein, 2006) Here is how we would calculate the average of a set of numbers. By the way, this is also obtained from the textbook:
7, 9, 37, 22, 109
We will firstly add up all of the numbers and the sum will total 184
7+9+37+22+109 = 184
Then we will divide the sum of 184 by 5 to get 36.8 which is the average.
184/5 = 36.8
The median is the midway mark of a set of numbers listed in order:
10 20 30 40 50 -------à Here, 30 is the median since it is in the middle
The mode is the number that appears a bunch of times:
10 10 10 30 40 40 50-------à Here, 10 is the mode since it appeared three times
These 3 concepts are very simple. I remember learning about them when I was in middle school so it’s still fresh in my mind.

1 comment:

  1. Hey! I really liked this section of chapter 13. It is exactly the same from what I learned back in grammar school in math. There are no complications with the mean, median, and mode. But graphs and percentages are a whole other story. Now those are complicated when referring to them in critical decision making. The mean, median, and mode can really help with the importance of an argument if using them. They are simple to learn and understand. I was relieved when I saw this section because it was something I knew for once in this class. Everything else is new to me a challenging to comprehend. Great job on this post for this weeks assignment!

    ReplyDelete